About Animal Science Research Institute of Iran
The history of the Animal Science Research Institute of Iran goes back to 1933. This institute was originally established as Heydarabad Animal Husbandry Agency with the aim of introducing exotic livestock and breeding of local livestock. In 1975 the agency was renamed as Research Institute of Animal Husbandry and focused its activities towards increasing the quality and quantity of livestock products.
After our revolution in 1978 the activities of the institute was extended to 28 natural resources and animal husbandry research centers across the country. In 1998, with the employment of new experts, research development in animal science and related fields and revision of duty descriptions and organizational chart, the institute was renamed as Animal Science Research Institute (ASRI).
Structure and Personnel
The central organization of the Animal Science Research Institute of Iran (ASRI) is located in Karaj, Alborz. However, the institute has 28 research departments located in nearly all agricultural research centers throughout Iran. There are 120 members of scientific board from which 40 are active at the main organization and the rest are in the dependent stations.
Priorities and objectives
- Possession of safe animal products and food security in the society
- Animal product manufacturers and stockbreeders benefiting from economic, political and social power in the society
- Development of regional Animal Science Research Centers based on technical, financial and administrative co-operations and contributions of the stock breeders and their organizations
- Preservation and conservation of animal genetic resources (livestock, poultry and honey bees)
- Developing the livestock and poultry capacities and optimum exploitation of these capacities by applying modern and advanced technologies
- Country possession of pure and dual purpose breeds of livestock and poultry resulting from the native and imported improved breeds
A complex of specific well-equipped laboratories has been aggregated in the main building of the institute. The laboratories and the qualified experts and technicians not only facilitate the research activities of the institute, but also provide services to clients.
I- Animal nutrition laboratories consist of the following fields:
- Chemical analysis of feed
- Determination of biological values of feed
- Biochemistry and nutritional physiology
II- Animal products processing laboratories:
- Animal fibers (wool, hair, mohair, etc.)
- Milk and dairy products
- Meat and meat products
- Egg processing
III- Animal Biotechnology laboratories:
- Enzyme and protein
- Egg processing
IIII- Animal reproduction laboratories:
- Artificial insemination of farm animals
- Sperm, ovum and embryo production and transfer
- Sperm and embryo bank of farm animals
V- Honey bee laboratories:
- Artificial insemination
- Honey bee products and determining the standards
- Pests and pathogens of honey bees
There are four main research stations at ASRI and a big research station in the north of Iran on development of dual-purpose cattle breeds which all provides facilities for research activities of the institute.
- Cattle, buffalo and camel research station
- Sheep, goat and horse breeding station
- Poultry including meat and egg type as well as experimental lines and ostrich
- Honey bee, apiaries of 1000 honey bee colonies, artificial insemination field rooms, honey extraction room, wax warehouse, honey bee museum